Environmental Defense Center Opposes Trump Administration’s Plan to Open up Santa Barbara Channel to New Oil Drilling
November 20, 2025Today, the Environmental Defense Center (EDC) announced its strong opposition to the U.S. Department of Interior’s newly released Oil and Gas Leasing Draft Proposed Program (“the Draft Program”) that includes federal waters off the entire West Coast including fragile regions such as the Santa Barbara Channel. This plan threatens California’s coastal resources, local economies, wildlife, commercial and recreational fishing, and the well-being of our communities. This is the first time the federal government has opened the California coast to new lease sales since 1984, when Ronald Reagan was president. The Draft Program includes 34 lease sales in 21 of the 27 Outer Continental Shelf Planning Areas—amounting to roughly 1.27 billion acres. Of those, 6 lease sales would occur in the Pacific, with 3 of them in the Southern California Planning Area in 2027, 2029 and 2030.
Read MoreSanta Barbara County Board of Supervisors Rejects Permits for Sable Offshore Corp.
November 04, 2025The Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors today rejected the transfer of permits to Sable Offshore Corp., the embattled oil company seeking to restart a huge oil and gas operation formerly owned by ExxonMobil on the Central Coast of California. The Board of Supervisors voted 4-1 to continue today’s hearing to December 16 and directed staff to prepare findings to support denial of Sable’s application. The vote is another blow for Sable, which in recent months has been hit by felony criminal charges, a state Attorney General lawsuit, and losses in court. Under County law, Sable cannot operate its onshore facilities without the permits.
Read MoreCourt rules that Sable Offshore Corp. did extensive work on corroded pipeline without required permits
October 15, 2025A Texas oil company attempting to restart a defunct oil and gas operation near Santa Barbara lost again in court today, when a Superior Court judge ruled that the company did large-scale digging and other work on the coast to repair a defective pipeline without the required permits. Earlier this year, the California Coastal Commission sued Sable Offshore Corp. for openly ignoring multiple cease-and-desist orders and making extensive, unpermitted repairs to the pipeline—the same one that ruptured in 2015, causing the massive Plains oil spill at Refugio State Beach. The Coastal Commission said much of Sable’s unpermitted work destroyed or disrupted sensitive habitats and species in the area.
Read MoreEnvironmental Defense Center statement on CA Attorney General lawsuit against Sable Offshore Corp.
October 08, 2025On Friday, October 3, the California Attorney General’s office filed a complaint against Sable Offshore Corp. alleging that the company repeatedly broke the law and discharged waste into streams, wetlands, and habitats while making unpermitted repairs to a broken oil pipeline on the California Coast.
The Texas-based Sable is attempting to restart offshore platforms and other idled equipment in Santa Barbara County—including the same defective pipeline responsible for one of the worst oil spills in California history just 10 years ago.
Read MoreEDC statement on Santa Barbara District Attorney filing criminal charges against Sable Offshore Corp.
September 18, 2025Santa Barbara, CA—The Environmental Defense Center (EDC) today released the below statement on criminal charges filed this week against Sable Offshore Corp., the Texas company attempting to restart a massive oil and gas operation on California’s Central Coast.
“At this point it should be abundantly clear that Sable is not a company we can trust to operate safely, responsibly, or even legally in California,” said EDC Chief Counsel Linda Krop. “No matter how Sable spins it, these are serious charges, and they raise big questions about the company’s integrity and its ability to operate risky facilities without causing more harm to our state. In its short history, Sable has openly ignored cease-and-desist orders from the Coastal Commission, racked up multiple notices of violation from other agencies, and according to the felony charges filed this week, knowingly poisoned waterways here in Santa Barbara County. The company is still asking state agencies for approvals to restart this failed pipeline and operate it through Gaviota State Park. However, the criminal charges make it even more clear that the state must conduct a full environmental review and allow for a transparent, public process before considering whether this project should move forward.”
Read MoreFederal Court rejects Sable Offshore Corp.’s demand for permits to restart oil & gas operation on the Central Coast
September 15, 2025Court Allows Environmental Groups to Join Santa Barbara County in Legal Fight with Sable and Exxon
July 28, 2025On July 25, a federal court allowed the Environmental Defense Center and its clients to intervene in a lawsuit against Santa Barbara County filed by fossil fuel companies trying to restart a huge oil and gas operation on the Gaviota Coast. Sable Offshore Corp., ExxonMobil, and their affiliates are challenging the County’s decision to NOT transfer permits to Sable to operate Exxon’s old oil and gas facilities after a tie vote by the Board of Supervisors in February.
Read MoreCourt injunction finds State Fire Marshal likely violated state law in approving Sable Offshore Corp.’s request to waive pipeline safety requirements
July 18, 2025A Santa Barbara County Superior Court judge today issued a preliminary injunction further complicating plans for the restart of a defective oil pipeline that failed catastrophically in 2015, causing one of the worst oil spill disasters in California history. The injunction essentially extends a temporary restraining order granted by the judge in June. It does not block Governor Gavin Newsom’s administration from approving restart of the pipeline, but it requires Sable Offshore Corp. (Sable), the pipeline’s owner, to come back to the court after receiving all outstanding approvals and then gives environmental groups a 10-day period to seek further relief from the court.
Read MoreCourt grants temporary restraining order delaying restart of failed oil pipeline
June 03, 2025A Santa Barbara County Superior Court judge today issued a temporary restraining order blocking Governor Gavin Newsom’s administration from approving the restart of a failed oil pipeline on California’s Central Coast – the same one that ruptured in 2015 and caused one of the worst oil spills in state history. Under Newsom, the Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) is poised to allow a Texas oil company to restart the pipeline after waiving normal safety requirements and without conducting any environmental review or public process as required by state and federal law.
Read MoreEDC Statement on 10th Anniversary of Plains Oil Spill & the Ongoing Fight Against the Restart of Oil Drilling on the Gaviota Coast
May 19, 2025Announcing the restart of oil production on the 10th anniversary of the Plains Oil Spill that devastated 150 miles of coastline shows serious disregard for the people and environment of California. EDC, our clients, and partners are still fighting from every angle to prevent the failed pipeline from ever restarting. We are continuing our lawsuit against the state Fire Marshal to require a full environmental review and a public hearing before the pipeline can begin operating, and we are exploring all other legal options.





