Join our Team
Thank you for your interest in being part of this small and dedicated team! We welcome your application!
Staff Attorney OR Senior Attorney
CA Bar License Required (Posted August 24, 2020)
EDC is seeking applicants to fill a full-time Senior Attorney or Staff Attorney position. The position is available now, and will remain open until filled.
EDC maintains a fast-paced practice in the field of environmental, natural resources, and land use law. EDC represents community groups and environmental organizations in Santa Barbara, Ventura, and San Luis Obispo Counties in state and federal courts and before local, state, and federal agencies. EDC cases involve issues in virtually all local, state, and federal environmental statutes, including CEQA, NEPA, ESA, CAA, CWA, CZMA, OCSLA, CA Coastal Act, MMPA, and California Planning and Zoning Law.
Minimum Requirements – Staff or Senior Attorney
- California bar license
- Experience in public interest environmental administrative advocacy and litigation
- Excellent analytical, research, writing, and speaking skills
- Preference for experience in California as well as federal cases
- Demonstrated affinity for working constructively as a member of a team
- Willingness to assist with other functions of a nonprofit, including fundraising, events, public outreach and education, and media relations
Additional Requirements – Senior Attorney
- Seven years’ experience in public interest environmental advocacy and litigation
- Experience managing a caseload
- Experience serving as lead chair in litigation, preferably both California and federal
- Experience serving as lead chair in administrative advocacy before local, state, and/or federal agencies
- Supervision of associate attorneys, other staff, law clerks/externs, and interns
- Proficiency in developing a case docket
* Bilingual fluency is also appreciated.
For the full description and for application instructions, click here.
We do not currently have any internships available at this time. We encourage you to check back frequently.
Law Clerk Program
EDC hires law students for summer clerkships as well as externships during the regular school year. Law clerks and externs are involved in substantive activities such as conducting legal research; drafting memos and pleadings; participating in client meetings, strategy discussions and negotiations; appearing before public agencies; and observing court arguments. EDC attorneys involve students in every aspect of actual cases.
2L students with a background or interest in environmental law, and a demonstrated commitment to public interest work.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing sample, law school transcript, and a list of three references to Daniel Elkin at email@example.com.
Preferred deadline for 2L applicants is Friday, October 30, 2020; applications may be submitted earlier and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Preferred deadline for 1L applicants is Wednesday, January 8, 2020; applications may be submitted earlier and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications for semester-length externships are accepted anytime, and evaluated on a rolling basis.
A Stipend and/or housing assistance may be available.
EDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive work culture. We believe that a diverse workforce improves our ability to assist our clients; enhances intellectual engagement; inspires innovation and creativity; and promotes skills like critical thinking and problem-solving. EDC is dedicated to hiring a diverse team of qualified individuals with respect to gender identity (including gender expression), race, sexual orientation, family status, religion, ethnicity, age, physical abilities, and other factors. EDC will also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.